St. John’s was founded by German Lutheran immigrants who lived in the Burlington area in August of 1858 by Rev. Carl Goldammer. The original church building was located at the corner of Pine and Madison Streets and was built in 1875. St. John’s has always operated a Lutheran elementary school, and the original school building still stands, located at the corner of Madison and Dodge Streets. German was the language of St. John’s until the 1930s. In 1957, the congregation purchased seven acres of land on Westridge Avenue. A new school building was dedicated there in 1962, and in 1980 the new sanctuary was constructed. Today, the congregation holds weekly services and operates its PreK through 8th Grade school on its Westridge campus.
St John’s offers opportunities to worship Jesus Christ, Sundays at 8 a.m. and 10:30 a.m., and Mondays at 6:30 p.m. All are welcome. Sunday School and adult Bible studies begin at 9:15 a.m. on Sundays. Various other Bible study opportunities are available throughout the week. Enrollment in St. John’s school is open to the public, not just the membership. Appointments to discuss enrollment may be made with the principal. The pastors of St. John’s wish to assist not only parishioners but also members of the community with spiritual guidance and encouragement from Scripture. St. John’s is a conservative, Lutheran congregation belonging to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS), the third largest Lutheran denomination in the United States. WELS operates the fourth largest elementary school system in the United States, has a pastoral presence in all 50 states, and shares the Gospel of Christ in mission fields all over the world.
What sets St. John’s apart: St. John’s holds unswervingly to the Bible as the true Word of God. Education is major emphasis at St. John’s. The elementary school is staffed with one teacher per grade. The principal works closely with the school families to assist them in the education of their children. The two young pastors of the church are eager to teach people the truths of God’s Word and are happy to speak to anyone about joining St. John’s.
St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church & School is located at 501 Westridge Avenue, Burlington. For more information, please contact Pastor Kirk Lahmann or Pastor Daniel Waldschmidt at 262.763.8229 or visit www.stjohnsburlington.org.