History of Lyons Center School
Lyons Center District #2 was formed April 28, 1845. The first schoolhouse is believed to have been built in 1868 at what is now the intersection of Highway 36 and Mill Street. The original schoolhouse was razed after the current building was built.
Lyons Center School is situated on 7.2 acres in the heart of Lyons adjacent to Riverview Park. The initial structure consisted of three classrooms, an all-purpose room, three storage rooms, an office, kitchen, and pantry. In 1961, 62 students grades K-8 attended classes at Lyons School. Five years later, a petition was passed and Lyons School District #2 became part of the Burlington Area School District.
There have been many changes over the years. In the early 1970s, there was a 1-2 split, 3-4 split, and a 1/2 day kindergarten. Teachers took on other responsibilities such as secretary, nurse, and custodian. Traveling music, art, and gym teachers came to Lyons and rotated throughout the classrooms.
Due to budget reasons, Lyons School was used as a community center for a number of years. When the doors reopened to students, Lyons was a kindergarten “center” for BASD. In 1998 an extensive addition was completed and Lyons Center soon welcomed K-4 grade students.
In 2005 Lyons Center piloted BASD’s Construction Academy as they built additional storage facilities behind the school.
Today there are about 80 students who fill the halls and classrooms with their excitement for learning. A dedicated staff of teachers and support staff instructs students using best practices and the latest in technology.